Research in the field of psychotherapy suggests that it’s not the methodology, but the working alliance that is the most significant factor contributing to our clients’ results.
But, instead of focusing on the relationship we have with our clients, and how we show up in this alliance as a coach and human being, we’re often focused on the more surface level things — like adding additional tools, knowledge, and systems to our toolkits in the hopes of becoming more effective and successful.
The fact is that most of us already have plenty of knowledge and are adept with evidence. What we hunger for is not to follow the latest techniques or fads, but instead to work with our clients in a deeper, more meaningful way.
What if being the best coach wasn’t about increasing your knowledge, but about increasing your level of attention?
What if you could help your clients get faster and better results, by focusing on what you hear instead of on what you know?
And what if you could be the witness who holds space for your client’s transformation, instead of the driver who sets the pace?
Narrative Coach is a groundbreaking new program that will provide you with a unique and non-dogmatic coaching philosophy that doesn’t aim to give you more tools to add to your toolkit.
Instead, it will help you to integrate what you already know at a higher level and become radically present with your clients so that you can help them to examine, articulate and rewrite the story they’re living in.
Narrative Coaching allows you to uncover, understand, and change what truly drives human behavior through the process of listening to and understanding triggers. It’s a coaching experience that offers you a way listen to people’s stories and help them understand the implications of their narrative choices, so you can empower them to choose better stories and outcomes instead.
But make no mistake, this program is not just about working with stories.
Dr. David Drake’s experiential coaching process is based on 20 years of academic research and development, draws from contemporary neuroscience, ancient traditions as well as the social sciences and has been taught to 10,000 people around the world and in over 40 organizations like Google, Nike, and PwC.
Whether you’re a beginning coach or a seasoned veteran, you will find that the ground covered in this program will offer you both theoretical foundations as well as mindfulness based practices that will help you to integrate all the puzzle pieces you need to coach from a place of inner ease, flow, and freedom.
Imagine walking into a boardroom to meet with the CEO of a 100 billion dollar company. Are you feeling confident, at ease, or perhaps slightly terrified?
Being a transformative coach, whether you’re just starting out or meeting with top-level executives where so much is at stake, is about more than just “what you know.” It’s about being deeply rooted in your own story and who you are at a core level so that you can show up in any coaching scenario with an unshakable inner confidence.
To be able to gain this level of confidence and get a deep authority as a coach you have to be relentlessly dedicated to your own personal growth. That’s why in this program we start by examining, owning and reframing our own stories first.
• Global Thought Leader On Narrative Coaching
• Founder of Moment Institute
About Dr. David Drake
Dr David Drake founded and runs the Moment Insitute & Leadership and has studied human dynamics for 30 years – with a particular passion for change and transitions.
What this means for David’s clients is that he can help them separate the signal from the noise to focus on what matters most. As an integrative practitioner he draws on a rich academic and consulting background in helping clients understand their own stories and liberate themselves.
David has worked on narrative coaching, change and leadership initiatives for 70 organizations, including Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Google, Nike, PwC, Westpac and the Australian and US Federal governments. He has trained over 10,000 people in 14 countries in his methods and has started a global community of licensed Narrative Design Partners to bring this work to the world in new ways.
He has written over 50 publications on coaching, leadership and narratives; he serves on the Senior Advisory Board for Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice. He is lead editor for The Philosophy and Practice of Coaching (2008); author of Narrative Coaching: Bringing New Stories to Life (2015); and co-editor of the reference-level Sage Handbook of Coaching (2016). His current research interests: using attachment theory and applied mindfulness in developing people and using Applied Narrative Design as a scalable change model.
David has presented to 25 universities and professional associations (eg, ASTD, ICF, ODN, SCP, SIOP) around the world, including the opening keynote for the first International Coaching Psychology Congress. He is a Fellow and Thought Leader for the Institute of Coaching affiliated with Harvard Medical School. He earned his PhD in Human and Organizational Development from Fielding Graduate University in California.
Here’s what top thought-leaders are saying about Narrative Coaching
Carol Kauffman, PhD ABPP
Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School, Founder/Executive Director, Institute of Coaching
One of the things I find quite unique in David's approach -- and I love it in his workshops and in his book -- is that he really brings together very, very high-end brain material academics and great rigor in a way that is very unusual. He also brings incredible depth to the actual application of this work in practice. As a rule, nearly all the time, people are good at one or the other. It's very rare that you get someone with such academic rigor who also has such a deep personal knowledge of how people function in long-term intensive coaching. And I find that to be very unusual. Dr. David Drake’s work with story is very powerful and has profoundly shifted my identity.
Global Alliance of Improved Nutrition, Amsterdam
David Drake’s methodologies offered me significant insights for how to better manage my global teams and design my workshop. His practical tools, like the Four Gateways, provide team members a fast access to the essence of what they want to achieve and how they can contribute better to the organisation. I used his “Emptying the Cup of Tea” tool to shape my workshops differently and they generated deeper organizational learning as a result. I am very grateful for being introduced to his innovative narrative coaching approach.
PhD Faculty, Fielding Graduate University, School of Human & Organizational Development, US
David has taken his doctoral research and created a globally recognized body of work. His systemic approach to developing people is on the leading edge of coaching.
Professor David Lane
Professional Development Foundation and Middlesex University, UK
This is a deeply thoughtful yet highly practical account of narrative coaching. David Drake has made a significant contribution to the field of coaching, not just to narrative approaches.
Brand strategist, US
Most coaches deal with the surface of life, focusing on arranging behaviors and tasks. David has a way of quickly getting to the deeper personal narrative that shapes how we perceive daily life.
Once I understood the story I was living in, I had the power to change it.
Behavioral changes that had been a challenge seem much less daunting now that they are tied to a deeper intention.
Executive Manager for Talent; Former Head of Change Teams
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
David partnered with CBA Group throughout the launch of our new Vision and Values.
He delivered powerful and compelling sessions to our most senior 400 leaders.
David worked collaboratively with us to design content that focussed on connecting with employees through authentic storytelling. David’s work has proven to be a success with impactful embedding across our organisation.
Associate Dean; Director of Coaching
Melbourne Business School
David’s narrative work is very powerful. He was a very astute choice for working with us.
There has been such a positive response to his philosophy, models and personal style; his visit has exceeded all my expectations and made a significant contribution to the development of our coaches.
Chief Learning Officer
David partnered closely with PwC for three years, contributing his extraordinary coaching skills and expertise to assist us in crafting and driving a significant cultural change journey for the Firm with coaching at its foundation.
His wise counsel, combined with a genuine interest in people, deep experience with OD and commercial acumen, make him a trusted business advisor to us.
Global Training Manager
David Drake is visionary, looks for and brings out the best in others, and always leaves people and groups better off than when he found them.
He brought me out of the box thinking that really worked.
He is an effective and cogent business partner, he helped me motivate more than 60 trainers and subject matter experts to effectively 'tell their story' to help transform the organization. David Drake’s work is valuable to any organization today.
by Dr. David Drake,
The program at a glance
Narrative Coach is structured into 7 Modules that build upon each other to give you a complete roadmap and solid understanding of both the theoretical principles behind Narrative Coaching as well as the tools you need to become radically present and grow into a truly transformative coach.
Each module will provide you with the resources and guidance you need to develop mindful coaching relationships, understand people’s stories, deepen your listening and inquiry abilities and create structures for success that result in lasting transformation.
In Narrative Coach, you will get all the theoretical foundation you need without getting overwhelmed by the things that you don’t. By focusing on fewer things at a time, you will learn how you can help your clients create change beyond the surface level as well as help them create strong foundations for new stories to emerge.
Here is a short overview of what you will learn in each of the 7 modules:
Module 1 - Preparing yourself to coach
• Turning Points: Identify key markers in your life, how they affect your coaching style and get an understanding of the basic process of how to help clients deconstruct and learn from their stories.
• Narrative Formulation: Better understand the narrative logic we unconsciously use as human beings when choices and decisions are being made—and where that can be enhanced for yourself to become a more powerful coach and for your clients to get better results.
• Five Perspectives: Learn to take five different perspectives than the one you’re using in framing a current situation, so you can set the stage for creating Pivots that can bring new stories to life.
• At the end of this module, you will have a solid understanding of the basic narrative coaching model and will experience a greater freedom to be with your clients as one human with another.
Module 2 - Holding space for change
• Working Ethically with Stories: Learn the six ethical guidelines of how to relate to people and their stories as well as which pitfalls to look out for when putting them into practice.
• Dealing with Resistance: How to reframe resistance from a more systemic and narrative perspective so you can help your clients get unstuck and move forward in their journey.
• Tips on the phases of change: An extensive handout that draws on the well-researched body of work called the Trans -Theoretical Model, giving you insights and tips for each of the four phases of transition people experience as they move through change.
• At the end of this module, you will have a solid understanding of how the change process emerges and how to make clients feel safe enough to have the conversation they most need to have in order to change.
• Telling stories with the whole brain: Learn the preferences of each hemisphere in terms of form and function and use this as a guide for inquiry and mutual regulation in moving between resonance and dissonance in your coaching sessions.
• Making the most of moments of meeting: Learn the four types of moments that occur in relational conversations like coaching and connect them with the four attachment outcomes and the four levels of mindfulness, so that you can be more present to your client’s needs in each moment.
• At the end of this module, you will have a clear sense of the value of the coaching relationship, essential mindfulness techniques and a basic understanding of attachment theory — allowing you to help your clients to show up in new ways and experiment with new stories.
Module 4 - Understanding People’s Stories
• Story mapping: A resource that you can use to listen to clients’ stories in a more structured manner and discern what they are being told so that you can enable conversations that have both detail and depth.
• If-Then-Therefore: Help clients see the narrative logic behind their actions. This tool is complementary to the Narrative Rewind tool and Pivoting tools that help clients understand the why behind their actions as well as how to make new, better choices in the moment.
• Three selves: Understand the three selves and the neuroscience behind it that shows that our actions are based on the interplay between our constructed selves from the past, our lived selves in the present, and our imagined selves for the future.
• At the end of this module, you will be aware of how stories function on a fundamental level so you can help yourself as well as your clients by listening to stories in a different way, and bringing new ones to life.
Module 5 - Coaching with radical presence
• Five wishes: A process based on the classic “Five Whys”, that is used to help clients determine what it is they really want, drawing on the coach’s ability to be present and comfortable with silence as they invite clients to name their wholehearted wish.
• Four Gateways: A tool that is based on contemporary neuroscience as well as ancient traditions that allows you to access a greater range of knowledge within yourself, more fully understand your experiences and make better choices.
• Being a mindful PRO: Put presence into action and deepen the coaching conversation through relational meditation that enables long lasting change to occur in a shorter amount of time.
• At the end of this module you will be able to use the power of silence into your coaching conversation, work more slowly to bring about more effective change and stay present in each moment for the real work that needs to be done.
Module 6 - Deepening your listening and inquiry
• Narrative Diamond: A framework that guides you into deepening your listening abilities so you can hear what is being said, is not being said, wants to be said, and is being said differently already, thereby increasing the quality of the conversation you’re having.
• Circling the Tree: A tool that will show you how inquiry is a spiraling process of deepening and rising more than it is linear process of getting from A to B — offering five questions that you can use to move up the ‘tree” to generate new perspectives and down the ‘tree’ to invite new actions.
• Working with metaphors: a resource to use with one of the most common features in people’s stories—metaphors and other analogies. Based on the notion of coaching as ‘serious play’ you learn to explore and experiment with different options.
• At the end of this module, you will be able to appreciate the centrality of listening as the basis for your inquiry and hear more deeply what your clients are saying through their stories and as a human being.
Module 7 - Creating structures for success
• Four tools: Four effective tools that you can use to bring about change, based on the research of habit formation as well as the belief that it is better to focus on making new choices whenever the opportunity presents itself than to focus on goals that relate to a specific future.
• Connecting the dots: a framework that brings together three of the iterations of the narrative coaching model that can be used to help clients understand where they are now and what needs to be addressed next, including a number of practical case studies.
• Bringing closure: a process that you can use to help bring closure to a coaching session and/or a significant experience within coaching. It supports the client to feel complete with the process, to remember what they have learned and gained, to be accountable for the next steps and give their new story a strong head start.
“As a coach you go from good to very good to great by being relentlessly dedicated to your own personal growth. Dr. David Drake’s invitation to look at your own story first has profoundly shifted my identity.”
Carol Kauffman, PhD ABPP
Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School
Founder/Executive Director, Institute of Coaching
If you have any questions regarding Narrative Coach, please let us know! Our team is located in all 4 corners of the world and will contact you shortly.
You can book a call with us by using our easy
scheduling system below:
Alternately, please email our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org and our dedicated team will promptly respond.
30 - Day Money Back Guarantee
Join us as we revolutionize the coaching industry through Narrative Coach. If you feel that you’re not receiving value from this work, we will refund your payment. We know the power this program will have on the industry and are willing to provide a no questions asked, no hard feelings – full 30 day refund from the start date of your program.
Your Questions Answered
What are the prerequisites for the Narrative Coach program?
In general there are no prerequisites and if you’re committed to excellence and keen to be part of this revolutionary program, you are already a perfect match. Our program will contain a range of significant materials – from academic research to mindfulness based exercises, contemporary neuroscience as well as ancient traditions. The program will focus on real life implementation, so it is helpful to have some coaching experience as you start.
Will there be audio recordings of the session in case I can’t attend the live trainings?
All of the sessions will be recorded, transcribed, and made accessible to you in our beautiful Narrative Coach membership area.
How much time will I need to invest to be successful in the program?
Each session (7) is about 90 minutes. There will also be follow-up work that we want you to do, to test out – to experiment with. So if you can invest 90 minutes a week, you will cover the basics of the program but if you want to get the most value, we recommend scheduling an additional 2 hours per week to fully immerse yourself in the content.
I have read David’s book ‘Narrative Coach’ - will there be new material in the program?
Absolutely. Narrative Coach is an in-depth 7-month program that will cover a lot of new material that isn’t in the book, helping you to integrate this coaching discipline in a much deeper way. However, reading the book as part of the program is definitely helpful — which is why Enhanced members will automatically receive a digital copy to support their learning.
What are the primary differences between the Core and Enhanced program?
In the Core program you will receive 14 hours of LIVE Core Immersion training with Dr. David Drake, 7 hours of LIVE implementation discussion and Q&A, access to our exclusive Narrative Coach member community, 33+ tools and resources to help support your learning, audio and video recordings, transcripts, professional notes for all sessions and 21 CCE Units.
The Enhanced program offers you the opportunity to take your learning a step further and integrate the Narrative Coach philosophy at a higher level. Of course, you will get access to all the training that the Core program offers. Apart from that, you will also receive 7 hours of additional LIVE Master Training with Dr. David Drake, 7 hours of LIVE Peer Coaching, 70+ tools and resources to help support your learning, a copy of the Narrative Coaching E-Book and a total of 35 CCE Units.
Will I be able to get CCEUs for joining Narrative Coach?
Yes, you will get 21 CCE Units for the Core program and 35 CCE Units for the Enhanced program.
Turn ordinary stories into extraordinary results.
Become a truly transformative coach
with Narrative Coach 2018.